As cold fronts begin to make their way into our cities it’s important we are taking the precautions to stay protected from the freezing temperatures. Winter weather can cause a tremendous amount of damage and subzero temperatures can make going outside nearly unbearable and extremely unsafe. We’ve gathered useful and valuable tips to stay prepared and safe in the cold weather conditions.
– Check your heating system to ensure it’s clean and working properly.
– Examine your fireplace and test smoke detectors. Change batteries in them twice a year.
– Install weather stripping and insulate water lines to prevent pipes from freezing and bursting.
– If necessary, replace all tires with all weather or snow tires.
– Always keep your gas tank above half full to prevent ice in the tank and fuel lines.
– Prepare an emergency kit for your car in any case that you become stranded. Include things such as a portable cell phone charger, extra batteries, blankets, water bottles, food, jumper cables, flares, flashlights, a first-aid kit, and whatever you deem fit for a winter emergency.
– Always wear appropriate clothing outside including gloves, hats, scarves, proper boots and plenty of layers.
– Check on family and neighbors who could be at especially high risk from cold weather conditions.
– If you are planning to travel, check current and forecast weather conditions.
– When shoveling outdoor areas, work slowly and take breaks to warm up when needed.
– Refrain from any outdoor activity when subzero temperatures are in effect.
For more information on how you can stay safe in these upcoming months, head to our Winter Energy Saving Tips and Safety blog.